Tuesday, May 18, 2010

10,000 steps and more resolutions

When Sean and I came to Australia in March we arrived on the beaches of Sydney feeling like pale and out of shape versions of ourselves. We both vowed that when we moved here we'd be much more active, eat better and really focus on being healthy. When I had my physical and I learned I had high blood pressure and low "good cholesterol" it was a kick to get things moving (I have heart disease on both sides of my family). So my first order of business when Sean went to work on Monday morning was to check out the local gyms in our area.

I had done a ton of research online and narrowed my focus to two pilates studios, a YMCA like gym (far away) and a place called Contours (for women only). I took the bus to the wrong stop but embraced the quarter of a mile back track I needed to make it to my destination (think of all the calories I was burning). The first Pilates place was really nice, clean and professional and REALLY expensive ($75/session) so I took a pamphlet and set off to place number two. The second pilates place was kind of dirty and still really expensive ($65/session) so I took another pamphlet and kept moving.

I had a hard time finding Contours because it was down an alley and up a set of stairs but when I did I was surprised by how small it was. It's a really small studio with different stations set up in a circle. The thing that intrigued me was their "29 minute workout". Basically you go through each station for 45 seconds so you're always moving. You switch from using real weights to cardio, to stretching, on and on until you've gone through the rotation twice in 29 minutes. I watched the women doing it and was getting really excited. I could do 45 seconds of anything - how tough could this really be? When the woman came over to talk with me I quickly signed up for the three day trial and scheduled my first appointment for the following morning at 9:30am, I was giddy!

After leaving the studio I went to the grocery store. Sean and I decided only to buy enough food for the day (aside from a few things here and there) so that we wouldn't end up with a ton of food that goes to waste. It was also good because we didn't have snacks lying around tempting us. We already had our dinner menu planned out for the night but I needed to get some vegetables (we are committing to real foods) so I picked out some peppers and started on my way home.

I was so excited to start my workout but I wanted to do something right away - I didn't want to wait a day so I decided to go for a long walk. I really enjoy walking and had been meaning to buy a pedometer for a while so I stopped at the pharmacy and picked one up for $20. I latched it on as I walked down the street and started walking. I had read somewhere that an active adult should log 10,000 steps per day so that was my goal (I later read that number is actually quite high but it's a goal). I walked about an eighth of a mile to the bus stop and then took the bus the rest of the way home. When I got home I did some picking up around the apartment before checking my email. Before I sat down I checked the pedometer and it had logged around 1,000 steps (probably a little less than that).

I thought about all the days that I didn't need to walk to the bus stop and was ashamed at the reality of my sedentary status for the past few years. To shake off the laziness remorse I decided to take a walk around the park that is about a half a mile away, that way I could log more steps in and get some fresh air. I walked around for over an hour. There is a boat house where you can rent canoes, row boats and kayaks, a dog section and different trails that you can take all the way into downtown Melbourne. It's a really gorgeous place and we are very lucky to live so close. Seeing all of the dogs made me miss Brady but it also made me excited for when he gets home, I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time at the park together.

When I got home I had logged about 8K steps - I realized that hitting 10K steps per day was going to mean a lot of walking but it'll be worth it. I just don't understand how the typical person who drives to work, sits at a desk all day then drives home is remotely capable of hitting even close to 5K, much less the 10K step mark. Yesterday I walked to the gym, all around the town, walked home from the bus station, to the train station, to visit Brady at quarantine and just hit 10K by the end of the evening. How many steps do you take per day? Have you ever kept track? I'd love to here what other people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment