Monday, May 24, 2010

8 weeks

8 weeks will have been (or will be) the length of time Brady has been in quarantine. The length of time can also be represented as:
  • 56 Days
  • 1 month, 25 days
  • 80,640 minutes
  • 1344 Hours
No matter how I look at it it feels LONG. I went to visit Brady today, it was raining but I didn't care. I sat with him in his kennel for about a half hour. Birds literally flew in and sat down a few feet away from us, he didn't even budge while I rubbed his tummy. I could tell that he needed to be rubbed, pet, cuddled, just as much as I needed to do all of those things. His little brown eyes stared right at me and I could tell he was fine, he wasn't sad, he just needed some love. I think I am feeling the same way. I am fine with the big move, much better than I thought I'd be, but I still need some hugs and reassurance.

After a while I decided to take Brady into the play yard, even though it was raining. The poor little thing only gets out to play when I am there so even though he normally doesn't like the rain I thought he'd like to get out. I was right! He ran around, ate a bunch of grass (it's okay, he's not sick, just happy to be out) and lifted his leg to pee on a tree. I had been worried because he stared squatting to pee but today the leg came up and I almost jumped up and down. I did notice that he had developed some dandruff though so I made sure to tell the staff before I left. Wayne, the manager of the place laughed, he said he calls it the "quarantine dust".. I can't wait to give him a nice bubbly bath when we get him home.

While we were in the play yard I talked with a woman who had two big white dogs that had come from Malaysia. She was saying she was counting the days until her pups got out but she had heard a lot of dogs become better behaved after their stays in quarantine. I decided to start thinking about Brady's stay as if he was in "Doggy Reform School" or away at a camp with Cesar Milan. I could tell he was already losing some of his diva behaviors and was acclimating just fine, I am really the one that is going through the most stress over this.

When I said goodbye for now I left a bunch of treats hidden in Brady's little house so he'd be preoccupied and associate my leaving with happy thoughts and treats to find. He didn't cry as I walked away (although he did try to sneak out) so that made me feel much better. Regardless of how I count down the days his "graduation" can't possibly come fast enough, but I don't want to dampen our time here by biding time. I will just keep trying to turn everything into a positive and focus on how lucky I am to be in Australia and to have a little Brady.

I will also enjoy being able to leave my underwear, workout pants, etc. on the bedroom floor without worrying about their being eaten while I am asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment