Friday, June 18, 2010

Long Time!

Wow! It has been a LONG time since my last post and I have been put to shame by some other bloggers! I have been reading a blog that a friend of a friend is writing who moved to Australia around the same time we did (She's in Sydney for work) and she makes me feel LAZY!

She pretty musts posts EVERY day and does as much as possible: http://vegemite-not.blogspot.com/

I am still waiting for Sean to post the details of our Great Ocean Road adventure (maybe I can get him to do that this weekend) but he has been pretty swamped with work. He gets up at 6:15am and doesn't normally get home until 7:00pm, part of that is due to traffic (it's terrible here).

So what have we been up to?!

Last weekend was a holiday weekend here "Queen's birthday Weekend" but we pretty much took it easy (for a change). We ordered in dinner on Friday night and caught up on Breaking Bad Season 2 - SO GOOD! Saturday we went to our brunch place (we have gone every Saturday) and then went out shopping in search of World Cup wear (Team Australia). Unfortunately the track coats were sold out in Sean's size so he got a scarf instead, scarves are big here for showing team colors. After that we went out to dinner with some people from the company to a Shri Lank-an restaurant that was very, very good. Dinner and drinks was fun so it ended up being a great Saturday night.

Sunday we met up with our only Aussie friends for brunch and then went home to hang out (it was a rainy, windy day). We spent the rest of the day planning my trip to Sydney (next week) where I'll start apartment hunting. I went to bed fairly early and Sean woke up at 4am to go into downtown Melbourne and watch the first game of the world cup in Federation Square (where they were showing it on a big screen). Unfortunately team Australia started losing to Germany early on so the scene was a bit deflated so Sean didn't stay for the whole game (although he did bet on it - another huge thing here). I will try to get Sean to post more details on this outing as well!

Monday we were invited to a dinner party at one of Sean's colleague's homes and it was fantastic. They have this amazing house in Melbourne that is much bigger than it appears because it has a HUGE underground living area. All of the food, wine and company was exceptional and it was a great night - it was so nice to talk to other Americans and other people that Sean works with.

This week I spent a lot of time looking for apartments online and starting to look for a job. In reality I only sent one resume out but I did reach out to a contact I had made in Sydney to try and arrange a meeting for next week.

Wednesday I went to the Immigration Museum, which was very interesting and is a must see for visitors to Melbourne. It just makes you realize what a young country Australia is and all of the ways that they tried to incentivise Europeans to move here as well as detour the Chinese. I could have stayed at the museum for quite a while but there were a few classrooms full of students under the age of nine that made it impossible to really focus in on one area for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment